Monday, July 2, 2012

The Violette de Bordeaux Fig......2012 season

Here are a couple of pictures of the Violette de Bordeaux (VDB) fig. VDB figs begin ripening about 3 weeks after regular Celeste figs begin ripening in my yard. This fig is one of the better tasting figs to be found according to many fig enthusiasts.....including me.  This particular fig has lots of flavor in the skin itself which is edible. I highly recommend this fig to my neighbors. It does so well in most parts of the country; that IMO, everyone who loves figs should have one of these in their plantings. VDB tends to be a small tree and grows with an open pattern. It does well in containers. It wants to grow as a fig bush rather than as a single trunked tree.....and will send lots of suckers up from the roots.  VDB can  produce two crops in a zone 9 climate.

Dan
Semper Fi-cus


Violette de Bordeaux fig
July 2, 2012


Violette de Bordeaux fig
July 2, 2012


Violette de Bordeaux fig
July 2, 2012


3 comments:

Giacomo Calabrese said...

I can't wait for mine to mature

King Fig said...

Giacomo, I just wish that my VDB tree were bigger so that the birds would leave me more than just a couple of figs.....lol. Hope that birds leave your VDB figs alone. Dan

zyjmr said...

I like Violette de Bordeaux and Celeste。