Friday, July 20, 2012

LSU Scott's Black Fig.....New Research Data.....2012 Season

I have written about the LSU Scott's Black fig in another post on my fig Blog. You can read more about it in the following link.

http://cajunfigs.blogspot.com/2012/04/lsu-scotts-black-fig.html

FYI, I have been growing the LSU Scott's Black cultivar longer than any of those silly figgy forum members. NONE of those fig forum members knew of this fig until I advised them of its existence. I can state without any reservations that Scott's Black is a superior fig.........in terms of taste and overall performance......especially in terms of its rain tolerance. This new data bears that out!!

Here are pictures of a few LSU Scott's Black figs that I picked this morning. I am very pleased to report on the SUPERIOR  rain tolerance and bug resistance of this fig. Certain figgy forum Mafia members (i.e. Gorgi and his forum buddies) do not like me to use the word SUPERIOR in my descriptions....but screw them!! Superior is an appropriate word when you have many other fig cultivars with which to make direct comparisons.

We have been having daily very heavy rains for a full two weeks now. And I am talking about rains in the range of  1/2 to 1 inch per day....with the ground completely saturated. These unusually heavy rains in my yard are now separating the Men figs from the Boy figs regarding their rain tolerance. From my own personal hands-on data with these cultivars growing side by side in my yard, I will now declare that LSU Scott's Black is way more rain tolerant than the following fig cultivars which are usually rain tolerant: Native Black, Sal's, Dark Portuguese, Gino's Black, Hardy Chicago, GM #11, and Black Mission. This IS NOT hearsay or just repeating what others have told me. As I have stated, this comes directly from my own personal observations and research activities.

The taste of these figs was excellent with no sweetness or flavor dilution at all. Part of the reason for this performance is the small eye, and dense interior  pulp which contains no voids. Also, I have noticed that the outside skin of these figs was coated with a "sticky latex-like substance"....definitely not honey as it does not wash off with water. Maybe that too helps it out too by shedding rain. Who knows? Will be watching  for that particular characteristic in future picked figs.......

Note: The Scott's  Black fig will get a much darker Black in color when they ripen during periods of full sunshine. When fully ripe the interior pulp will loosen up a bit. These ripened during mostly cloudy skies with heavy rains.

Dan
Semper Fi-cus


LSU Scott's Black fig
July 20, 2012


LSU Scott's Black fig
July 20, 2012


LSU Scott's Black fig
July 20, 2012
-----------------------------------------------------
Added the following comments on July 22, 2012:

FYI, the LSU Scott's Black fig will improve even more in flavor whenever it is allowed to sit at room temperature on the kitchen counter for a couple of days. The fig meat will get stained purple and the interior pulp will darken in color. Below are pictures of the three uncut figs that were pictured above......AFTER they sat at room temperature for two days. These are sooooo good folks!!
Dan
Semper Fi-cus



LSU Scott's Black fig
Aged for two days at room temperature


LSU Scott's Black fig
Aged for two days at room temperature
-----------------------------------------------------
Added the following comments on July 23, 2012:

The above and last uncut fig was allowed to ripen further on the kitchen counter for yet another day.....three days total time ripening at room temperature. Here is a picture of it when I cut it open just before I ate it. It had a very STRONG berry flavor....which I like. This fig's pulp attained a purple color and the meat was stained purple too. Figs that will STAIN 'the meat layer' (the layer that lies between the outside skin and the interior pulp ittself) purple like this are usually AWESOME tasting!! This fig is what awsome tasting looks like in a photograph........

Dan
Semper Fi-cus


LSU Scott's Black fig
Aged for three days at room temperature
Pulp is purple in color.
Awesome tasting fig folks!!!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

They sure dont like over at f4f

King Fig said...

I live very close to the LSU test orchards and am 100% sure that this is the correct cultivar. None of my figs are looking "normal" right now with all of the heavy rains we have been having daily for the last two weeks. As I write this comment, we are under a flash flood watch yet again.....very unusual weather in my yard. Dan

Anonymous said...

I have some fruit on mine this year looking forward to it

Anonymous said...

"FYI, I have been growing the LSU Scott's Black cultivar longer than any of those silly figgy forum members"

Dan, Why would you make such a smarmy, snotty unprofessional comment about the forum? It only makes YOU look bad. Shame, shame, shame. I've lost all respect for you.

A silly forum member.

King Fig said...

To the 7/31/12 "anonymous" self proclaimed fig forum member who did not like what I had to say in this particular post....

The facts are the facts man....get over it!

Hint: you would do better to stay only on the figgy forums. Stay off of my fig Blog if you have such paper thin skin that you are easily offended. FYI, I have a bone to pick with certain figgy forum members.

Where were you when I was routinely being attacked by those "Fig Forum Mafia" members?? I have no respect for you cowards either!!

Dan
Semper Fi-cus

Jason "Pepe" said...

Just found your blog. Great info on the Scotts Black. Hope to get some cuttings soon. I grow about 15 cultivars here in South FLorida.
http://www.pepeplants.com

All the best and will visit again from time to time.