Wednesday, May 23, 2012

The "Italian Black Fig".......another Louisiana Heirloom fig

Years ago Becnel's Wholesale Nursery in Bell Chase, La. introduced the "Italian Black Fig" into the retail market. It was found years ago growing in the New Orleans area. It was brought over into that area by Italian settlers.

I have quite a few Italian figs that are black in color in my collection that I am trialing....both named and unnamed varieties.  However, this Italian Black Fig is different than all of the others that I have. My tree was completely killed a couple of years ago and I was meaning to get a replacement for the one that I lost.  It is a good fig for my climate.

Today ( May 23) I found a very nice 7 ft. "Italian Black Fig"  at a local nursery that was growing in a 4 gallon pot. It cost me $28.00. It was propagated by another wholesale nursery located here in Louisiana. So I know that it is the original one. They also had similar sized LSU Gold, LSU Purple, and Improved Celeste fig trees for sale. They all came from the same reliable La. wholesale nursery.   The "Italian Black Fig" tree is still rather hard to find.....sometimes Durio's Nursery in Opelousas, La. will have them. Sometimes they are available in East Texas from Brazos Citrus Nursery.

If you are looking for one and you are going to be in the Baton Rouge area ....send me an email and I'll tell you where you can find them for sale. I am not associated in any way with any nursery. Just trying to help those who may be interested in acquiring this great tasting heirloom fig.

Dan
Semper Fi-cus



The Louisiana Italian Black fig
August 3, 2012


The Louisiana Italian Black fig
August 3, 2012


The Louisiana Italian Black fig
August 3, 2012


The Louisiana Italian Black fig
August 3, 2012


3 comments:

don lewis said...

I saw an Italian Black Fig tree at my local nursery last weekend.

Do you have a photo of the inside of a ripe fig from this tree?

King Fig said...

Hello Don,

You can see pictures of the Italian Black fig in another post on this fig Blog. I have it pictured right next to a Native Black fig for comparison purposes. Plus I gave it a brief review of its taste.

http://cajunfigs.blogspot.com/2012/09/italian-black-figs.html

Hint: To see all of what I have written about the Italian Black fig.....you can do a search for it by typing in those words into the "search box" that is located on the right side of every blog post. You can then choose to search just the fig Blog and/or the entire web. It really is a nice feature which I often use to see what I have written in the past. Often times information is scattered around in differnt posts.

Dan

Daniel H. said...

I have an Italian Black fig tree. I bought it April 27 from a nursery in Little Rock. On May 8th it started showing tiny figs. Today, June 3 they are a little larger than my thumb and are getting a bit of a dark hue to them. I am guessing that they are beginning to ripen, although that could be a long time in the making.

My question is this, would these figs be brebas or are they main crop? I thought it was too early for main crop in zone 7, but maybe this a really early fig.

Thanks in advance for your help,
Daniel H