Friday, May 4, 2012

Col de Dame Figs

Col de Dame Blanc fig


Col de Dame Blanc fig


Col de Dame Blanc fig


Col de Dame Blanc fig

Col de Dame figs are highly regarded by many as one of the BEST tasting figs in the world. Until I discovered my Black Beauty 10 heirloom fig, Col de Dame was hands down the best tasting fig in my collection.  One taste of this absolutely superb Col de Dame fig can drop me to my knees in prayer....... to thank the good Lord for such a fine creation.

Col de Dame is a LATE season fig. Many areas in the US do not have enough heat units nor  is the growing season long enough to properly ripen this fig. Fortunately South Louisiana (fig paradise #2 IMO) is one of the few areas in the country that has a climate good enough to ripen these figs to perfection. The late summer climate in South Louisiana is usually dry and similar to that of a Mediterranean type climate (perfect for figs). This occurs in the fall whenever tropical storms and/or hurricanes are not present in the Gulf of Mexico. Fig loving Louisiana residents should take advantage of this fact and add other fig varieties to their plantings other than the usual Celeste or Brown Turkey fig.

Col de Dame Blanc is very rain tolerant. I've actually had figs ripen on my tree while it was still standing in  water following a very heavy rain....with no splitting or much flavor loss of its ripening figs. The pulp of Col de Dame is a dark red color. The pulp texture is rather "pasty" (not at all thin or juicy). The pulp texture (not color) is similar to that of a good Black Mission fig. The eye is closed and the skin is rather thick on this excellent tasting fig. I will forever have it in my collection for its fall season figs. It is so nice to have Col de Dame fresh figs long after my old time regular Celeste figs have stopped producing.

Black Beauty 10 figs are the only figs I have ever eaten that taste and perform better than Col de Dame. With Black Beauty being an EARLY ripening fig........that puts it into a very special category of figs....and why I am so happy with my discovery of the Black Beauty 10 Louisiana heirloom fig.

Dan
Semper Fi-cus

4 comments:

iseprincez said...

Hello,

So, where can I get some startings of the Great Black Beauty you say is better than Cole De Dame? And some of the CDD, too? Just getting starting to populate my fruit orchards and fields with berries, figs, and grapes. Any help would be Greatly appreciated.

King Fig said...

BB10 is not yet available for sale. You can get cuttings of Col de Dame Blac from UC Davis. I also have recently seen some cuttings for sale on eBay.

Dan

David Eden said...

Hi Dan,

Have you had a chance to try the Col De Dame Noir and Gris? Any difference among the varieties?

Thanks

King Fig said...

David, I lost both my CDDN and CDDG before they were fully mature and I could gather some meaningful data. So I have no comments regarding their differences.